Welcome back to the Neurodiverging Podcast! Today, certified life coach Danielle Sullivan discusses the basics of what emotional intelligence is and why it can be difficult for neurodivergent people to develop emotional intelligence skills. We're also discussing alexithymia, how folks with autism process emotions differently than neurotypical people, and some easy interventions you can try at home to improve your own emotional intelligence skills, too!
Click here to learn more about "What Is This Feeling?" - Danielle's introductory, self-paced course to increase your own emotional intelligence!
🎧 Want to listen? This post is based off of Episode 34 of the Neurodiverging Podcast! Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Youtube
Want special access to the Patrons-Only Aftershow, and many other perks? Consider pledging $1, $5, or $10 a month to fund the Neurodiverging Podcast. Find out more and pledge today at patreon.com/neurodiverging.
- Learn more about mindfulness from our episode with Dr. Rabia Subhani, and check out her Mindful Village mindfulness program for neurodiverse families here.
- Click here to learn more about "What Is This Feeling?" - Danielle's introductory, self-paced course to increase your own emotional intelligence!
- "Measuring alexithymia in autistic people" by Katherine Gotham and Zachary J. Williams: https://www.spectrumnews.org/opinion/measuring-alexithymia-in-autistic-people/
- Learn more about Eckman's universal emotions, and check out one criticism of the concept of universal emotions.
- "Interoception: the hidden sense that shapes wellbeing" by David Robson: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/15/the-hidden-sense-shaping-your-wellbeing-interoception
- Samson AC, Phillips JM, Parker KJ, Shah S, Gross JJ, Hardan AY. Emotion dysregulation and the core features of autism spectrum disorder. J Autism Dev Disord. 2014 Jul;44(7):1766-72. doi: 10.1007/s10803-013-2022-5. PMID: 24362795. https://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/parkerlab/documents/Emotion_Dysregulation_and_the_Core_Features_of_Autism_Spectrum_Disorder.pdf
- Sifneos PE. Short-Term Psychotherapy and Emotional Crisis. 1972, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Gaggero, Giulia et al. (2020.) A Scientometric Review of Alexithymia: Mapping Thematic and Disciplinary Shifts in Half a Century of Research. Front. Psychiatry, 10 December 2020. doi:10.3389/fpsyt.2020.611489. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2020.611489/full
- Kinnaird, E., Stewart, C., & Tchanturia, K. (2019). Investigating alexithymia in autism: A systematic review and meta-analysis. European psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists, 55, 80–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpsy.2018.09.004
- Surman CB, Biederman J, Spencer T, Miller CA, McDermott KM, Faraone SV. Understanding deficient emotional self-regulation in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a controlled study. Atten Defic Hyperact Disord. 2013 Sep;5(3):273-81. doi: 10.1007/s12402-012-0100-8. Epub 2013 Feb 15. PMID: 23413201; PMCID: PMC4009378.