It’s very common for neurodivergent folks to have trouble staying attentive to a task that is not interesting to us. Even when we are trying to focus on the things we have to do, it can be hard to keep on-task.
Some of the most common concerns are issues like:
- You didn’t plan how to approach the project, so now it’s hard to find a place to start.
- You didn’t consider how much time the project will take, or have under- or overestimated how long it will take (sometimes drastically!).
- You got started and then forgot what your goal was.
- You got started and then got distracted with some other task.
- You got started and then got frustrated, and weren’t able to talk yourself into persisting with the project.
Having an activity partner nearby can help with all of these situations.