Offering Collaborative Parent Coaching for Neurodivergent Families
I'm Danielle Sullivan. I'm a certified positive psychology coach who also happens to be autistic and parenting neurodivergent kids. I'm here to help you identify your individual goals and create a specific, personalized, collaborative coaching plan to enrich your family's emotional connections, reduce challenging behaviors, and transform your emotional reactions into cool-and-calm responses. Sometimes you need a neurodivergent coach for your neurodivergent concerns!
- I believe in strength-based, evidence-based assessment and skill-building. I've been trained in several modalities, and use a combination of neuroscience, positive psychology, and solution-oriented paradigms to meet your needs and help you achieve your goals.
- I believe autism, ADHD, and other neurodivergences are neurological differences, not diseases to be cured.
- I maintain a safe space for LGBTQA+, polyamorous, and ethically non-monogamous/ consensually non-monogamous folks and families.
- I have experience working with ADHD, autism, dyslexia, sensory processing differences (SPD/SPI), alexithymia, pathological demand avoidance (PDA), oppositional defiance (ODD), social anxiety, learning differences, and executive dysfunction in adults and children, neurodivergent or neurotypical. (And yes, I disagree with a lot of this labeling, but the internet runs on Google.)
- I believe in positive, gentle, collaborative parenting techniques, and have seen them work wonders for families with all kinds of children. Collaborative parenting is a style of parenting where parents do not compel children to behave by means of punishment or control, but rather use connection, communication, and other democratic methods to make decisions together as a family.
You're amazing and have been of such incredible support and help to me. Thank you deeply. The service that you offer and the format in which you offer it is so greatly needed and unique. - MeLisa, California
Collaborative Parent Coaching
I enjoy working with any parent who would like
- support in developing a parenting style and a toolbox that align with their values
- resources to better understand their parenting goals and their child's specific needs.
As an autistic person myself, parenting an autistic child, an ADHD child, and with an ADHD partner, I have a unique understanding of the daily challenges neurodivergent people face, and can work to help support you and your family as you improve your collaboration, emotional intelligence, and communication skills.
I am a Certified Life Coach, Certified Solution-Focused Coach, Certified Positive Psychology Coach, and Certified Transformational Coach. I'm a graduate and certificate-holder of the Neuroscience Academy, a 34 hour program in applied neuroscience and brain health (2021). I hold a B.A. degree from Temple University in Philadelphia (2007) and a M.A. degree from the University of Colorado, Boulder (2013).
I've also completed significant continuing education in positive psychology, coaching through resistance, emotional intelligence, and child psychology.
I'm a member of the International Coaching Federation, the Attention Deficit Disorder Association, and the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.
You may also be interested in my continuing self-education reading list here.
I offer email, video, and phone consultations to individuals worldwide.
"With your support, I have vastly improved my boundary setting skills and self-awareness at work, which has contributed to much more satisfaction with my overall work experience and has also helped me avoid a period of acute autistic burnout. I know these skills and tools will have benefits in all areas of my life too, now that I’m practicing them at work." - Milo, Washington
Neurodiverging Parent Coaching Options
- Collaborative Families is a 6 week collaborative parenting group coaching program that runs several times a year. Learn more and sign up for the next cohort today!
- Do you have a group who would like to be coached together? I'm happy to offer discounted options depending on the goals and size of your group - send me an email at email@example.com.
Neurodiverging Coaching operates on a sliding scale between $50-$170 per session, with a median cost of $120 per session.
Consider paying less on the scale if you:
- are supporting children or have other dependents
- have significant debt
- have medical expenses not covered by insurance
- receive public assistance
- have immigration-related expenses
- are an elder with limited financial support
- are an unpaid community organizer
- are a returning citizen who has been denied work due to incarceration history
- experience discrimination in hiring or pay level
- are descended from enslaved people or Native American Indians
Consider paying more on the scale if you:
- own the home you live in
- have investments, retirement accounts, or inherited money
- travel recreationally
- have access to family money and resources in times of need
- work part-time by choice
- have a relatively high degree of earning power due to level of education (or gender and racial privilege, class background, etc.) Even if you are not currently exercising your earning power, I ask you to recognize this as a choice.
The scale is intended to be a map, inviting each of us to take inventory of our financial resources and look deeper at our levels of privilege. It is a way to challenge the classist and capitalist society we live in and work towards economic justice on a local level. While I ask you to take these factors into consideration, please don’t stress about it. Pay what feels right, or reach out and talk to me if you need support.
All individual sessions include the live video chat/phone call plus an emailed copy of my notes and suggestions delivered within 72 hours of our call.
$50-$170 USD sliding scale, average $120
If you'd like a single 50 minute session to talk through a problem or issue you're stuck on, choose this package. I'll help you dig into the issue at hand to help you clarify your concerns, goals, and priorities.
5-Pack: (Save 5%)
$237-$805 USD sliding scale, average $570
This package includes an initial introductory session to go through your history, needs, and goals, plus 4 follow-up sessions to support you through at least a month of positive change! If you need support, accountability, and partnership to achieve one small goal, this is the program for you. We’ll develop a unique plan together with detailed steps and clear benchmarks to get you moving confidently toward your dreams!
Includes: Introductory session + 4 live follow-up sessions + concurrent unlimited text and email support
10-Pack: (Save 10%)
$475-$1530 USD sliding scale, average $1080
This package includes an initial introductory session to go through your history, needs, and goals, plus 9 follow-up sessions to support you through about 3 months of positive change! If you're looking for support to develop new habits, organize one or two facets of your life, or for partnership toward one medium goal, this is your package
Includes: Introductory session + 9 live follow-up sessions + concurrent unlimited text and email support
Returning Clients: If we've worked together previously and you'd like my support again, get in touch! Discounted single sessions and packages are available to all returning clients.
Patreon Discount: Monthly pledges from my patrons support the Neurodiverging Podcast and allow me to maintain spots for low-income and other sliding scale coaching clients. By pledging at Patreon, your perks could include life coaching benefits like complimentary coaching sessions, discounted packages for you or a friend, priority slots on my waitlist, a digital self-help life coaching resource once a month, and more. Learn more about all tiers of support at my Patreon.
If you have an HSA (Health Savings Account) or FSA (Flexible Spending Account) you may be able to use that for coaching sessions. Please check with your account provider. Coaching is not covered by health insurance.
I have pro bono spots available for clients who are not working or who are on a fixed income. I want coaching to be accessible to as many people as possible. I may be open to alternative arrangements like bartering or trade, etc. Email me!.
Coaching sessions are held by phone or virtually via Google Meet, Skype, or Zoom, depending on your preference. If you are in the Colorado area, you may email me about meeting in person.
Session recordings are available upon request. You must let me know at the beginning of the session you would like recorded.
How Coaching Works
I offer free 20 minute discovery calls to all potential clients so that we can meet each other and make sure we're a good fit to work together. After the discovery call, our first "official" meeting together is our introductory session. By the end of this session, we’ll have identified 1-3 parenting goals that you’d like to work on together, have agreed upon some next steps for you to take in the upcoming weeks, and determined the expected length of our coaching engagement.
As your coach, I'll listen to your concerns and ask you careful questions to help you clarify your deeper wants, needs, and values around parenting and family life. I'll help you organize your thoughts into concrete goals and create action-steps toward those goals. I'll also offer homework between sessions to help you keep moving forward on your path, which can often include prompts for deep thought, journaling, meditation, or planning.
I do not direct your path or tell you what to do. I am there to assist you in creating and achieving your goals.
Coaching is goal-oriented and collaborative, and the amount of interaction and support you need is unique to your personality and situation. In most cases, coaching is a long-term commitment of 6 weeks to 6 months or more. When we meet, we can talk together about how I can help you best, and agree on an estimated time-to-goal.
Most folks initially choose to meet once a week, and then reduce to once or twice a month to check in and tweak the plan as needed. How often we meet is up to you. I offer email and text support as-needed between sessions as part of your coaching package.
Once you select your coaching package, payment is due in full at the end of the first coaching session unless we have agreed on other arrangements. I have limited sliding scale and pro bono spots available for clients who are not working or who are on a fixed income - I want coaching to be accessible to as many people as possible. I may be open to alternative arrangements like bartering or trade, etc. Email me!
If you need to cancel or reschedule a session, I request at least 24 hours notice. Please only cancel when truly necessary. Not having done the homework, or not having made progress on your goals is NOT a good reason to cancel! I’m here to help you with your goals, not judge you. If you haven’t made progress, you need to let me know so we can work together to develop a new strategy!
If you cancel within the 24 hour notice period more than once, I may begin to deduct the equivalent of 10 minutes of time from your remaining minutes for each cancellation.
Rarely, despite best efforts and goodwill on both sides, we may not be the right fit for one another. If for any reason you are unhappy with my services, and you have discussed the issue with me first, I will offer a full prorated refund on any unused time you’ve purchased, minus a $40 USD administrative fee. Refunds must be requested within 30 days of your most recent purchase, and may take up to 72 hours to be processed.
All packages expire in full one year after date of purchase. Extensions may be available in some situations, at my discretion.
Not Sure Yet?
That's okay! Starting work with a coach is a big decision and it's not for everybody. The best way to figure out if we're a good fit, or if you're ready for coaching, is to put yourself on the waitlist so that we can have a free 20 minute discovery call once I have spots open. It's a zero-pressure, no-sales way for us to meet, for me to hear more about your concerns, and to tell you more about my services, so we can determine if we're a good fit for each other.
If you'd like to learn more about me, may I recommend the Neurodiverging Podcast? The following episodes are especially helpful for neurodivergent families:
- Ep. 33 / Positive Discipline for Autistic and ADHD Children with Debbie Godfrey
- Ep. 28 / Slow Processing? Try Slow Parenting!
I am always happy to hear from you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated May 14, 2022.